Animal Control Resources for Woodside

        The town of Woodside does not have an Animal Control officer.  The Mayor and Town Council have no control over nuisance animals or barking dogs.  For resources about animal control, cruelty or neglect of animals, aggressive animals, stray animals or dog control, the agencies listed below can be contacted.

For stray animals that are found, the Kent County SPCA can be contacted
32 Shelter Circle Camden, DE 19934 directions
Tel: 302.698.3006 | Toll Free: 888.352.7722
Fax: 302.698.2153
Option 1 is for Animal Control | Option 2 is for the Shelter


 Animal Cruelty & Neglect, Aggressive Animals, Dog Control & Rabies Services

servicesoverviewThe role of the Delaware Animal Services (DAS) is to enforce state codes, rules, and regulations related to companion animals, and to investigate animal neglect and cruelty cases for the purpose of protecting the health and safety of Delaware’s human and animal residents.

Delaware Animal Services operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Animal welfare officers are on duty from 8:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. on weekdays, and 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on weekends. On-call officers respond to emergency calls after hours.

DAS Area of Jurisdiction

Animal Cruelty – Statewide

Rabies Control – In which a human has been exposed to the rabies virus – Statewide
Dog Control – New Castle, Kent, and Sussex counties. The cities of Newark and Dover remain responsible for dog control within city limits

Contact Information:

  • Delaware Animal Services – New Castle, Kent and Sussex Counties – 302-255-4646
  • City of Newark – Newark Police 302-366-7111
  • City of Dover – Dover Police 302-736-7111

Our officers respond to calls regarding:

  • Animal cruelty and neglect
  • Stray dogs
  • Seriously injured/ill or endangered cats
  • Aggressive or dangerous animals
  • Animal bites to people
  • Stray livestock
  • Animal-related emergencies
  • Assistance to police

In addition to enforcing laws, our officers serve as educators in the field to teach pet owners how to treat and properly care for their companions. Often, we provide referrals to local animal welfare programs or resources to people who want to provide for their pets but lack the information or resources to do so.

We do not respond to calls about:

  • Nuisance wild animal issues
  • Injured wildlife
  • Barking dogs
  • Stray and outdoor cats (uninjured or healthy)
  • Sick or injured owned animals
  • Dead animals on the road
  • Animals which an owner wishes to re-home or relinquish*

*DAS is not a shelter or rescue, and therefore cannot accept stray or homeless cats, or pets that an owner wishes to surrender. You may contact local shelters and rescues for assistance, or learn more about re-homing your dog or cat.

The state contracts with the Brandywine Valley SPCA (BVSPCA) to provide sheltering services for all stray, homeless and abused animals picked up by DAS. To learn more about BVSPCA, click here