To obtain a building permit when new construction or major structural property improvement is planned for your property, Mayor Mike Warren must be contacted at 302-531-6883 to make arrangements to have your plans evaluated.
Once approval has been received from the Mayor and Town Council for your plans, the actual building permit can then be applied for from Kent County Levy Court, Office of Inspections and Enforcement, which is located at 555 Bay Road, Dover, DE. Phone: 302-744-2451. Additional information can be obtained online by using the link listed below:
Permits are required for several reasons. The most important is that the structure(s) are being built to code and are safe for human occupancy. Always remembers, the building codes are a minimum. You can always build better than what is required by code but you can never go less.
Permits are established to aid in protecting homeowners from property disputes with neighbors. Several permits require a plot plan that will be used by the inspector to verify that you have not encroached on your neighbors property.
For the physically disabled, codes ensure that you have access to public buildings and have the use of the facilities including but not limited to bathrooms, water fountains, and elevators.
Listed below are the types of permit required in Kent County. Please contact our office, if your project is not listed below.
- Sheds – Pre-Built & Site Built that are 101 square feet or greater
- Gazebos & pergolas that are 101 square feet or greater
- Carports that are 101 square feet or greater
- Playhouses that are 101 square feet or greater
- Detached Structures (Garages & Pole Buildings)
- Agricultural Buildings
- Pools – (Above Ground & In-ground), Hot Tubs, & Spas
- Dog Kennels
- Hot tubs
- Solar Panels Installations – Ground & Structure mounted
- Retaining Walls over four (4) feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall
- Sidewalks and driveways greater than 30 inches above adjacent grade
- Decks larger than 16 square feet
- Gas Fireplaces, Inserts, Coal, and Pellet Stoves
- Roofing (when replacing more than 25% of the roof sheathing or when changing the roof material. Example: Asphalt Shingles to Metal Roof)
- Structural & Interior Renovations
- Finished Bonus Room
- Finished Basements
- Elevated Patios
- Commercial structures
- Business Certificate of Occupancies
- Commercial Fit-outs
- Temporary Activities
- Greater than four (4) feet in height unless having to meet pool barrier requirements, State of Delaware requirements for day cares, or required by Kent County Planning Services Department as part of an approved Subdivision.
- Demolition of structures (needed to remove existing structures from the tax rolls)